Is there anything that says Valentine’s Day quite like chocolate-covered strawberries? Fresh luscious berries covered in rich chocolate – who wouldn’t love to receive a tray of these?! They’re great for any special occasion, but I always think of them on Valentine’s Day.
Chocolate covered strawberries sound and look oh-so-fancy, but the truth is that they’re quite easy to make at home. Kids love helping with this project, so enlist those eager helpers and you’ll have a large tray of these impressive desserts in no time.
Tips for making perfect chocolate covered strawberries:
1. Buy the freshest strawberries you can find. Look for crisp red berries with no spotting. The color of the green leaves/stems will also give you a clue to their freshness. Trader Joe’s and other grocers will often carry long-stemmed strawberries around Valentine’s Day. But if you can’t find long-stemmed ones, fear not, regular strawberries will work just fine.
2. Dry strawberries thoroughly after rinsing, blotting carefully with paper towels. Another option is to simply shake strawberries on rolls of damp paper towels. This will remove any loose sediment without risking getting your berries soggy.
3. Melt chocolate slowly, preferably in a double boiler. I just use a glass bowl and set it on top of a pot of boiling water. You can use the microwave instead, but be sure to work in short intervals and be careful not to burn the chocolate. Use a whisk to thoroughly blend melted chocolate.
4. Although using pure chocolate will work just fine, adding butter or oil adds slight sheen and shine to the chocolate.
5. For fun varieties, roll dipped berries in your favorite toppings such as crushed nuts, crushed mints, or sprinkles.
I hope you enjoy my Chocolate Covered Strawberries recipe. Wishing you a love-filled Valentine’s Day!